Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Heading Home

This has been a remarkable trip and my eyes have been opened to some aspects of our world that I had never really considered before. Parts of the past 10 days have been wonderful and parts tragic, but I feel fortunate to have experienced them all (well, not the stomach bug part). The people I met were strong and resilient, and inspirational.

Above is Min Min -- head of the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners. He is standing in front of a poster that shows former political prisoners, each holding up their hand with the name of a current political prisoner written on the their palm in black marker. Many of the faces in the poster were familiar to us from the training, and even some of the names written on people's palms were names of people who have been freed since the time the photo was taken and are now working to become mental health clinicians. It was very powerful to see.
Here is our training group on the last day -- can you tell I'm about to throw up?
And this is why I'm going home a day early -- I borrowed this bike this morning and thought of Alden (though I'd probably never actually put him in this child carrier) and knew that however enticing a luxury hotel for 2 nights in Bangkok might be right now, what I most wanted was to go home to my family. Distance has made this heart all the more appreciative of them. Farewell, Thailand! Thank you!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment